[openbeos] Re: reply: preferences symbol, cultural bias(?)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:15:04 +0200

Hi,

I've originally tried a knob thingy instead of the slider. Knobs are used
very frequently in the real world to tune or adjust stuff. But the knob
makes for a horrible silhouette, even at 64x64. That's when I went with the
slider, at least it as more recognizable.

Personally, I like the analogy with the spanner. It is a tool to tighten or
adjust screws, in order to get "something" (most likely a machine, an
engine, a bicylce) into perfect working condition. This association should
be fairly common among different cultures. A red checkmark was used to
indicate correct answers during my schooltime btw. With most settings apps,
you don't "check" options, but you adjust some property. Tracker has a
couple of on/off option type preferences, but most other settings are like
"mouse acceleration", "screen resolution", "keyboard repeat delay", "the
type of something" etc. I'm just saying a checkmark is not *the* perfect
symbol for making adjustments to your computer settings, IMHO. So far, I
like the spanner best out of all options:

[ ] Checkmark
[ ] Slider
[V] Spanner
[ ] Skewdriver