[openbeos] Re: our own language -- sure

  • From: "arougthopher" <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:07:08 -0800

Ok, there has been a lot of talk about creating "our own language"
lately.  I wasn't sure if I really wanted to get involved in the talks,
but after reading so many of them, I just couldn't help myself.  I've
stated before in places, that I am primarily a Java programmer.  I
learned OO techniques when I learned Java.  This made learning C++ a
lot easier, since I had also had C in college.  Some one had made a
statement earlier:

> what I was imagining and suggesting was an environment to produce
> apps
> quickly, many people including myself could move faster if we didn't
> have to learn the BeOS specific stuff, just leaving the program flow
> written.

I would think it would be very difficult to write any app for any os,
without knowing anything about the os what so ever.  Even when you
program in Java, if you application is going to exist in different
environments, you still have to think about them (think of a install
program).  The write once - run anywhere is great on paper, but not in
practice.

The problems many people have with C++ is first it is practically C,
and second is is OO.  OO for some people can be very difficult to
understand.  I myself had problems with it at the beginning, coming
from a very procedural background.  But then, one day, it just clicked,
and I've loved OO programming ever since.

Personally, I think having people program in C++ will make them better
programmers, and allow them to make better programs.  VB apps usally
suck.  I'm not trying to argue the validity of VB or put down VB
programmers.  I work at a company that is a MS partner, and we have
many VB programmers.  Because they have been programming in VB so long,
they have a lot of problems understanding complex programming issues.
I don't think it is any fault of their own, but that of the language
they are using, as it does not challenge them.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject, for what it's worth.

-paul

Oh, and please, please, please do even think C#.  That's just a whole
other can of worms! :)