[openbeos] Re: our own language -- sure

  • From: "Andre' F. Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:11:43 -0300

Andrew Edward McCall wrote:

I agree that OpenBeOS will need something like Java, I am wondering if this should be a focus point at this moment in the project. Porting Java to BeOS is a massive task, and there are plenty of other tasks that are more important right now to be done.

Would it not make more sense to get OpenBeOS up to the level that BeOS is right now, and then start to think about porting Java?

OTOH, spending some effort on a Java VM would be beneficial right now for the CURRENT BeOS users running, say, Opera and Mozilla. It could attract some users and some developers, who know.

And FreeBSD's VM is not based on Linux's anymore, they have built their own patches and applied it to Sun's distribution. We may benefit from it, maybe...