[openbeos] Re: our own language -- sure

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:21:39 CST

Should we have a RAD programming tool in OBOS?
<sarcasm> Heavens no, we wouldn't want extra functionality on our
platform!!!</sarcasm>

Umm... at the risk of stating the obvious... it would clearly be a
benefit to have such a language. How can you argue against something
that adds value and takes nothing away? It's a no-brainer. Maybe some
uber-geeks on this list wouldn't care to use such a tool, but that's
fine, they can safely ignore it. After all, none of us feel compelled
to download and use every app that shows up on BeBits, do we?

So I think the question "should we have our own language?" is really
asking "is it worth the effort to create our own language?".  Well,
who's effort? That's the real rub. Such an undertaking would be alot of
work. Any takers? I thought not.

Seriously, if there's any programmer on this list who find this to be
an irresistable idea and has the chops (and willingness) to implement a
RAD programming tool for OBOS, by all means, roll up your sleeves and
start cracking. No one's going to stop you. And if you succeed, you'll
undoubtedly be a hero to many a non-geek user out there (and probably
more than few geek ones too -- if they'd actually admit it).