[openbeos] Re: . or no .

  • From: Linus Almstrom <linalm-7@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 23:59:55 +0200

On 2002-05-13 at 22:01:41 [+0200], openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > But isn't that path searched in order?
> > I mean, if ./ is the last entry in your PATH env var, then the system
> > should run that user's script only if it doesn't find it anywhere else
> > first.
> >
> > Sorry if i'm being naive but i really like ./ as default. When i came
> > to BeOS i knew nothing about unix and that was something that would
> > have made my life much harder.
> > Regards,
> > Daniel Cachapa
>
> Yes, it is searched in order.  Having it at the end of the path is safer
> than at the beginning.  I tend to think that people who don't put ./ in
> the path for regular users are just being overly paranoid (of course, the
> root account on a unix machine is a different story).  I haven't been
> following all of this thread, but I think that we should have ./ at the
> end of the path by default, and when/if OBOS (or whatever the name is)
> goes multiuser, the admin account would not have ./ in the path.

I tend to disagree. Having the "./" in the PATH is more confusing than
it is helpful. I would urge any user to get used to type "./foo" instead
of just "foo", because there are more than one occation I have chosen a bad
application name which collide with other app names and thus executed
the wrong application.

Regards

/Procton