[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "carmiac" <carmiac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:56:19 -0700

>I believe there is a strong liklihood with this scheme that granny
will
>*never* delete any of her links, out of fear that she might
accidentally
>delete an app.  The thought of piling this kind of thing on top of the
>simple action of deleting a link makes me positively gag. =3DP  Brutally
>honest, but true.

I agree completely.

>Much as I despise the one in Windows (primarily because it's so damn
>sloooooooowwwww), I think an "Update & Uninstall Apps" preferences
>applet is the way to go.  List all the OpenBeOSInstaller installed
apps
>there and granny can remove and update things with some degree of
>confidence.

What would be nice is if the Update & Uninstall applet could remove all
links to the app as well.  Its rather annoying to install an app and
still have symlinks to it floating all over the place.  Of course if
BeOS used shadows instead of symlinks, this would be a problem.

Adam

In a world full of Windows, we're handing out rocks.
        -BeOSRadio

HTML belongs in email the way vinyl siding belongs on gerbils.  Sure
its cute at first, but its just plain WRONG!!!

It is reassuring to consider that in spite of the many historical
expectations of end-of world scenarios, armageddon, natural disasters
and catastrophes, and general hysteria of the gullible, that the cosmos
rolls on, utterly indifferent, uncaring, and oblivious to any arbitrary
and capricious enumerations counted by man. - Ross Milner