[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Vootele" <vootele@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:51:09 EET

>Here is where we part opinions. BeOS is somewhat complex. Not
unnecessarily so.
>Installing drivers, for example. You unzip them to a directory. Inside
the directory is a
>link directory. You have to d&d the driver folders into the directory.
Or at least double click
>on a script that moves them for you. Another similar example is
installing shared libraries.
>Final example - when we release new kits. We would need to (minimally)
shut the old one down,
>hopefully zip it and move it out of the way, put the new one in place
and start it. Minimally, that
>requires a little scripting.
>
>This is not to say that there is no space between zip and SV. A *
simple* package format, that
>can place files, and a little bit more would be very nice.
It would be wonderful if I could install new software *directly* in
package manager. Have you seen QNX package manager? Well, my ideal one
would be something like that.
Package manager should:
1. list all new software on the internet (with a little description and
screenshot)
1a. list all software installed to computer.
2. be able to update installed software
3. (this is most needed) be able to UNINSTALL previously installed
software
4. it should be dependency-free (one package is not dependent on other)
5. create icon to the desktop or app menu so user don't have to search
over disks "oh where the hell did it put this software?"