[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

<SNIP>
>Sure, the current ones.
>
>One thing that I have huge respect for microsoft for is their Windows Update
>stuff.
>It seems to work 99% of the time, and when it doesn't, it's only difficult
>fix
>because of the monstrosity of the registry and related bits.
>
>(I run windows on half a machine at home, out of 5, so I'm not a windows
>zealot
>whatsoever)
>
>I have no problems personally with manually installing everything, but for
>ease of
>use in the future, it sure would be nice to have something as well built as
>Windows Update, which would include a standardized installer (I'm not really
>sure
>what SV does, I haven't touched BeOS very deeply yet).

i did some analysis on Software Valet a while ago.
Software Valet attempts to connect to valet.bedepot.com.
it is expecting to connect to update_response.asp which i can only assume
validates your softwares' serial number and then, if valid, checks to see if
your version is current. If your version is older than current it initiates
an http download of the newer version of the software.

I think the address of the server (valet.bedepot.com) is hardcoded into the
app (i've checked the settings files and found nothing) and the only option
you have for connectivity is to enable a proxy server and port number.

It used to work fine when bedepot was alive and well and i think if we could
license the source or write something similar it would be a good idea.

currently there are a couple of OpenTracker update utilities (GUIs) available
on BeBits.
i would suggest that you contact the author(s) of them and see if we can use
their code as the basis for such a tool on OBOS.
cheers
peter
Peter Moore
peter@xxxxxxxxx
http://beos.loved.com/
ICQ 926967 (old) 95022055 (new - Oct 18, 2000)