[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:22:17 -0500 (EST)

> OS but I get my mind hits a impentrable brick wall when it comes to
> ever getting to grips with it. The great beauty of BeOS is that it was
> and

install ice wm. I have it setup so there is a menu in lower left hand
corner which reads 'start'. word is brought up by typing word. It has the
same look as ms word 5. netscape brings up netscape. explore brings up a
gui filemanager. I don't mean to insult anyone, but how is this any
differnet to _use_ (not administer) than windows?

> is the most friendly user friendly system. However as an ex refuge from
> windupows I have never managed to understand the Terminal.  Like

Why would you want to do this? There's a dos prompt in windows, and a term
in beos, too. Why do you think you need to use term in linux if you don't
use it in the other oses? I really don't understand this. I'm not
recommending linux, I'm trying to find a project to help out in obos, but
spreading misinformation helps nobody. These issues have been beaten to
death in c.o.la. Better to find best features to use in obos instead of
spreading misinfo and insulting other's oses.

> most average users i really need a friendly front end over the fabulous
> workings below.

They exist for linux. There was even an article which showed that one of
the wms for linux is easier than windows for new users. It's all what you
are used to. Use what you want, just don't be insulting to others.
Investigate what you are talking about, please.

Fred