[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:49:12 -0700

On 5/22/07, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On 2007-05-22 at 17:38:30 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
> <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Stefano Ceccherini wrote:

>>> It's not the case. Actually what we should try to achieve is to get
>>> those patches into the main tree, so that haiku works out of the box
>>> for japanese people too. Localization is a different thing, of course.
>>>
>> I absolutely agree. But you will not encourage them to do so by calling
>> their work junk or dismissing their needs as harmful for everyone else
>> w/o good foundation.
>>

> You're purposefully twisting Michael's mail (which contained the word
> "junk"). This style of discussion is simply not acceptable.

Excuse me, but how am I twisting what Michael actually said?

The way I read Michael's email, he was insinuating that *if* in fact
the Japanese version of unzip breaks single-byte Latin character
files, and an English user unzips a file of this type - causing a
corrupt file as a result, that the first impression such user may have
is: "Wow, what a poor implementation of unzip - why would Haiku be
distributed with a broken unzip implementation?" (he shortened it to
"what a piece of junk" to make a point).

Michael was not calling it junk himself - because he knows that the
change was made for a reason - but it's bad practice to break software
in this way - there should be a compromise where it works in both
cases whenever possible. If not, then all double-byte enabled versions
of Haiku should be labeled as such so there is no confusion when users
attempt to use them with single-byte files.

Please don't continue the "don't call it junk" thread - it was truly
taken out of context :)

- Urias