[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 9:04:49 +0000

> From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> The Japanese community, for example, are creating a Live CD with a few
> apps to make the thing more enticing (like a Japanese text editor), the
> Japanese input method enabled by default, a nicer Japanese font than the
> default, and a few patches here and there that they need to address some
> language related issues.

Why are the font and patches not being done on the trunk of Haiku? That is one
of the major drivers for reducing the number of distros - so everyone can
benefit from work being done.

I've got the Google tech talk going the background - and they've just mentioned
not replying to every message in a thread is good practice, but instead to read
stuff through and distill your response. So the next paragraph is not a
*direct* response for any particular point.

Waldemar's talking about getting the community involved in discussing the
distro. I think it might be a reasonable time to expand the number of formats
the downloadable "test" image is available in. Once the tree is built, making
100MB, 500MB and 1GB image files will take next to no time, and should all
compress to a similar size. Same story on making default images be easier to
burn to a CD. Then we could have an official "Haiku" demo CD people could use -
it would be clearly labelled "pre-release" with the revision number so we would
know exactly what people were using if they report any bugs.

On the need for "Demo CDs" for developeres - I agree with Koki that making it
easier for people to try out the OS will definitely help new developers to get
interested. I don't think they need much in the way of extra stuff to make that
decision. We're trying to get them interested in the OS, not in Wonderbrush or
Vision. They should be excited by the fact it boots and works on their
hardware, by the way Tracker works, by the simplicity of the preference apps.
Having no extra software also makes it clear what is in the scope of the
project. We can make a "like what you see and want to help? Everything you see
is from the Haiku project." statement. This is better than a "Like what you see
and want to help - great, ah unless you like Wonderbrush, which is a 3rd party
program. Send comments to Stippi. Want to improve ShowImage - oh yes, that's
one of ours."

Simon