[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:46:20 +0000

> Localized distributions are even trickier. In these cases, it would
> probably be mostly a localized font and input methods (Japanese) and
> localized strings. Since Haiku doesn't currently have any built-in
> localization support, community members who wish to maintain separate
> localized versions are subjected to the same guidelines as other
> distros - even if they change nothing else in the system.

Localisation (en_gb!) is definitely a key thing for future Haiku releases. In
future, I'm sure localisations will live within the project, so there should be
no need for seperate distributions just for this purpose. For the temporary R1
timeframe, localised distros will be entitled to a "Haiku Compatible" logo (no
API changes) which is acceptable IMHO.