[openbeos] libroot exchanges stdio

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Open BeOS" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 15:13:53 +0200 CEST

Some news:

We finally made the switch from BSD's stdio to glibc's stdio/libio pair
to achieve full BeOS compatibility.

This means, we are now able to execute shell commands such as "echo"
and others coming directly from the R5 CD.

As we only use the stdio part from the current stable glibc, there was
quite an effort needed to cut it out of the whole thing; some functions
like floating point scanning/printing currently do not work because of
this.

Although we found glibc code to be in a better shape than BSD's libc
code, especially concerning thread safety, it lacks modularization and
a clean file structure. The decision to use a glibc based stdio/libio
rather than BSD's solution, however, was purely made to achieve 100%
compatiblity with BeOS in that area.

Bye,
   Axel.