[haiku] Re: grand central?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 01:59:16 -0400

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Skar Cat <skarmiglione.sk4r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> have a question about if could be grand central a good option on haiku for
> implement it  now what it is open under apache license?

I think it is an interesting technology and the basic version could
probably be ported to Haiku pretty quickly.

But to get the full power of GCD you need the C blocks Apple added.
While I think this is a brilliant idea because I'm a Ruby developer
and blocks are great, they are still an unofficial addition to C. Of
course Haiku has a certain advantage over all the various Linux
distros for example because we provide our own GCC anyhow and could
theoretically add these patches to our version without too much
trouble.

I'm not sure what the other Haiku developers think of that though.

Another good thing is that Haiku is quite compatible with the Apache
license, which apparently can conflict with GPL v2, causing problems
for some Linux distros ;)

--
Regards,
Ryan