[openbeos] Re: general update tool idea

  • From: "Andre' F. Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 20:00:47 -0300

Kobi Lurie wrote:

Hello,
I have an idea that i think would prove to be elegant.
it would be an alternate method of updating our beos apps (similar to reos or beosupdate).
basically it's for people who want to always stay on the bleeding edge.
we do that by providing an object based update.

Heh, good to know that you too thought about this ^_^

This has already been discussed in GE-talk about 1 month ago, among with other discussions on "tools". We (<humble mode off> I, in fact) suggested this very same thing, but one step further: .o's objects should be made .so's. This way, you could update individual parts of your code and users won't have to litter their HDs with source code and/or "dead" .o images.

It was mentioned that lots of .so's would waste obscene amounts of HD space, I suggester .so's should be put into a container file, like a .tar file or, more precisely, like a .jar file. However, .jar files have many, many shortcomings (they are just good'ole .zip files), so I suggested razip files instead (http://razip.sourceforge.net), since its creator is a close friend of mine.

<humble mode on>

However, this is still a R2/GE thing, and I believe R1 updates are going to happen in a CVS fashion for source files, and usual binary updates for other parts of the system.

-- "No hay banda! Todo esta' grabado!"