[openbeos] Re: general update tool idea

  • From: Justin Lee <triplez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 04:18:57 GMT

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:57:56 -0700, Erik Jaesler wrote:
>>What I would feel is that CVS is more of a developer's tool than a
>>normal user tool.
>
>Of course.  And bleeding-edge builds are more for developers than
>normal
>users. ;)

Naturally, no-brainer users won't even care about bleeding-edge, they
just want things to work. Which in this case, might not even need to
update anything. I suggest a catalog system, like one of the mails
stating about Click-and-Run from Lindows.

Those update-crazy users would love to have the latest patches and
fixes, and most prob the latest version of the application. This
might be more to the "Windows Update" where the users are
automatically notified of any new updates.

Thirdly, those who wants to be on the bleeding edge can bloody well
get the sources from cvs. I doubt we are really focusing on them. I
think what OBOS should focus on "users" then "developers".

>>What users might want is an update system, maybe a notification
that
>>there is an update. Take a look at windows "update notification"
>>system. They notify you of any updates to the OS, direct you to
>>their
>>website, and shows you all the updates, patches, etc. and of course
>>the user get to use which to download and update, and that's all.
>
>An update system like Windows has is one thing (and potentially a
>good
>thing for users), but what has been proposed is a system whereby
>individual object files (intermediate files generated by the
>compiler
>then linked together into the actual app) can be downloaded and the
>target application re-linked on the user's system.  Of course, this
>requires a server which is actually *building* those intermediate
>files
>so that they're available.

This proposed system is quite innovative, but there are issues to
this system. Knowing whether the object files needs updating. Looking
at dates and size of the object files might not be a good idea.
Anyway it can be done by specifying exactly which object files have
been changes (more work for the developers?) and releasing them to
the public instead. Updating object files from alpha, beta versions
are definitely not a good thing.

Anyway the system should have it's own SDK available for other
developers to "update" their own commercial applications and such
through the same uniform system (catalog as I mentioned above). That
would definitely be cool, and uniting "retrieving of application"
procedure into 1 system.

Anyway, if I'm not wrong, BeOS had an app doing that too. I can't
remember the name at the moment, but it's some shopping cart or
something that you get to pay for the stuff and download and install
all in one program? What was that again....