[openbeos] general update tool idea

Hello,
I have an idea that i think would prove to be elegant.
it would be an alternate method of updating our beos apps (similar to reos or beosupdate).
basically it's for people who want to always stay on the bleeding edge.
we do that by providing an object based update.
we send the compiled objects for each file that changed/added.
this would mean twice the size of the app/lib on the user's hard disc,
but also means less network activity and more elegant updating.
instead of redownloading a 2.2mb app, we only download the 70k that got updated between "releases". the linking is done in the user's computer, by the update application (calls gcc/ld/libtool/whatever needed).
i think this is superior to the methods that exist today.

here's a sample session as i see it :)
- hello
- hi, ip  207.232.16.1 (217/2000)
- whatsnew app2024 29032002
- sending 2024 29032002-19062002 log

we then get a log which looks like
add blah.o
del tractor.o
edit stringview.o
del mom.o

we parse the file and delete every object that has del from our object directory.
now, we request optimization from the server and size of objects.
(we have the option of size/plain/debug/generic x86 o3/cpu optimized (gcc3 thinking) )
the server returns
app2024 ftp://athlonxp.beosupdate.org/2024/blah.o 35271
app2024 ftp://athlonxp.beosupdate.org/2024/stringview.o 78943

we get the objects compressed over the network similar to cvs -z9 compression.

when we finish downloading (we even have the progress of download (for UI app) since we know the size)
we just link it all together (and perhaps run some kind of checksum check on the generated binary to see that it fits.)
and viola, we have the new app.

this method is generally good for those who want to cvs update but don't wanna waste so many cycles compiling, when in fact, only once is enough, instead of compiling in every user's comp, we do it centrally for them.
the down size is that it would obviously only work for opensource apps.

anyway, for the server we can use a muscle server.
(the main (muscle?) server basically only checks the ftp directory of the app on request for obj files created between now and the string the client sends. (it can cache it later)
or the ftp server can publish the updated apps for the main server.
this is details for later.)
the ftp servers will need to have a constant link to cvs and compile the new sources.
+ some kind of schedule util.
we can make different directories for different gcc flags or like in the example, different servers.

this is basically the feature's top design. shouldn't be very complex to implement, most of the code is available tools.

what do u think? makes sense?
thanks in advance, kobi.