[haiku] Re: freebsd network drivers

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:33:15 -0800

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Karl vom Dorff <karl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I remember trying to research that, and don't think that information is easy
> to come by unless you want to pay thousands of dollars. I found this
> snippet: 'Companies such as Broadcom, Marvell, and Intel, which already lead
> the Ethernet semiconductor market (see IDC report, Worldwide Ethernet
> Semiconductor 2006 Vendor Shares),'
>
> Good to see Haiku already supports the market leaders in some form :)

Well, to be honest - the reason Haiku supports those, is because the
developers have the hardware...

There's less chance of porting a driver without the hardware (as it
still requires testing and tweaking) - and I doubt anyone's going to
port drivers simply because it might support 100 devices that almost
nobody uses.

Best way to get them ported is to provide the hardware to the devs :)