[haiku] Re: freebsd network drivers

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:26:15 -0500

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:52 PM, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Perhaps start with the ones that had a higher number and worktowards
> > the ones that cover less?  Here's the list sorted from highest to
> > lowest:
>
> However, it's likely that the drivers with fewer devices are actually
> newer, and some of the ones with lots of devices are older...
>
> Also, i'm guessing many of those are ISA chipsets - which aren't
> terribly relevant in Haiku at this point. Also, I'm guessing some are
> targetting PCMCIA cards.
>
> Possibly it would be better to identify the most commonly-used
> chipsets and focus on those first - specifically the integrated ones.
>
> Is there a way to easily identify those?

I remember trying to research that, and don't think that information is easy
to come by unless you want to pay thousands of dollars. I found this
snippet: 'Companies such as Broadcom, Marvell, and Intel, which already lead
the Ethernet semiconductor market (see IDC report, Worldwide Ethernet
Semiconductor 2006 Vendor
Shares<http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=208074>
),'

Good to see Haiku already supports the market leaders in some form :)