[openbeos] Re: common source issues

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 17:51:38 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Stephan!

> > Could a website, or an informal list of some kind,
> > be created?
>
> How about the Annotated BeBook? Unfortunately,
> I don't have a URL handy.

It's hosted by beunited.org. I usually google for it.

I love it, but is it a good place to enumerate things
that are _missing_ from BeOS, or things that don't
fall into a BeBook kit section?

Syscalls, constants, typedefs, as well as more complex
topics, such as how to adapt configure scripts and makefiles
cleanly, with common issues and solutions.

Preferrably with style considerations. Beyond the C language.
Creating BeOS patches is pointless if the original authors won't
apply them. The world is moving too fast for us to keep patching
the same things over and over, keeping diffs on the side.

How about an up-to-date wiki (or whatever) version of
"Porting UNIX Applications" ? :P

> > Is there still an active(!) BeOS development discussion list?
>
> As far as I know, there is still a BeDevTalk mailing list at:
>
> bedevtalk at bug-br dot org dot br

Great! I've (re-)subscribed now.

I don't know how you guys feel, but I think the community might
be stretched over too many sites, to many small forums,
lacking "critical mass".

(For "developer relations", the mailinglists have been the
most productive for me. BeShare and IRC somewhat less.)

> And to answere your original question, I don't have a
> personal list of "porting unix apps" issues. :-(

Thank you anyway, Stephan. :)

The BeBook, the BeDevTalk FAQ, Martin C. Brown's book,
and our collective experience is a good start.

Best,
Jonas Sundström.