[openbeos] Re: bounties for the new website...

  • From: "Fredrik Ekdahl" <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi François, Philippe, Ingo and Axel!

From François:
> >     NFS
>
> We do have NFSv2 around.
> I fixed the net_server version and ported it to BONE, with a
> compatibility socket header so it should be easy to add calls for
> Haiku
> when it's possible.
> I can put it in SVN whenever needed.

Ok, nice! Is this the most used version or is version 3 more widely
used?
Are the different versions compatible with each other?

> I also plan on writing an NFSv4 as v4 allows for extended attributes
> and other goodness.

Oh, interesting..

> >     SMB
>
> Maybe Magnusoft will be able to help with that... who knows =)

I guess we'll see.

> > SANE port
> >     Or is this already up to date? In that case, could it be
> > included?
>
> I sent the patch for the latest Zeta port I made to the sane-devel
> mailing list months ago, it should still apply (actually most of it
> should now be in the official tree).

Good to hear it's kept up-to-date!

From Philippe:
> > Finish OpenGL add-on framework
> >
> > OpenGL software renderer
> >     Adopt the software renderer to the new GL add-on API and update
> >     mesa
>
> Yep. I've yet to find free time to finish these tasks but all are
> mandatory.
> Additional task: OpenGL nVidia renderer add-on. Aka adapt Rudolf's 3D
> driver to
> the new GL add-on API. Except I've no nVidia card. Beside no free
> time, I mean
> :-(

Looks like Jerome is working on this. That's really great to see!

> These are more 3rd parties opportunities than Haiku mandatories:

Is this the opinion of all you others as well, that scanning shouldn't
be
supported 'out of the box'?

> > Scanning application
> >     Maybe Sanity could be acquired
>
> No problem, I've licensed Sanity under MIT. Most of this crap app
> needs to be
> rewrite anyway, as it's a pretty ugly code (as usual). And without
> scan area
> widget, it's a very dumb tool. Today scanners speed hide this more
> than in the
> past, though (full scan at highest resolution -> ShowImage -> crop ->
> save
> selection...).

Good that it's open sourced. I guess the app is a good start for making
a simple
scanning app.

From Ingo:
> > File system drivers for (one bounty per file system of course)
> [....]
> >     ReiserFS (one seems to already be written,
> >     http://www.bebits.com/app/3214,
> >               could that be added to svn?)
>
> This one supports version ReiserFS version 3(.5/6), which is pretty
> much
> out-dated by now, and it is read-only. We probably want to port the
> current
> version 4 directly from the Linux sources.

After reading around a little it looks like version 3 is by far the
most used
compared to Reiser4. According to wikipedia, Linspire is the only
distro that
includes it. And I think that read-only is a lot better than 'no-read'.
I have had lots of use of the ntfs read-only driver included with BeOS.

From Axel:
> > SATA drivers
> >     Drivers for whatever chipsets out there
>
> For now this has definitely the highest priority; if you only have S-
> ATA drives, you wouldn't even be able to boot Haiku (which is
> certainly
> less acceptable than no sound or networking - it would also be
> cheaper
> to exchange the latter ones).

I agree that this very important.
I've been using a really old computer the latest years so I haven't
suffered
from this yet. But I'll be getting a new computer in the next few days,
which
is coupled with a s-ata hdd. Will this mean that it won't boot neither
BeOS
(dano) nor Haiku anymore? If I'm not mistaken I've read somewhere that
you
can set your BIOS to some kind of legacy mode that imitates a p-ata
drive
instead. Is this correct?
What about if I use one p-ata and one s-ata drive, and have the BeOS-
alikes on
the p-ata drive and another os on the s-ata drive. Can bootman handle
booting
from both drives?
Sorry about getting off-topic!

/Fredrik Ekdahl