[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 23:00:09 -0700

Please don't go here, Richard.  Given that we are a very diverse group
of individuals who without doubt have an equally diverse set of
impressions and thoughts on today's events -- some of which will
certainly clash badly -- it seems unwise to me to discuss the issue
here, if only to avoid inadvertantly offending people.  I have certainly
been less than impressed, to put it diplomatically, by some of the
things already said.  To agree that the matter is outside the purview of
the list is not to deny the human tragedy, but to allow each person's
experience of the events without judgement or censure.  Besides, the
last thing anybody wants, yourself included, I'm sure, is for the list
to become an emotionally-charged political free-for-all.  I'm quite
certain that preventing this is all Michael was trying to do.

What happened today is tragic beyond description; no matter how many
days the news anchors natter on about it, they'll never truly express
the horror of what we've seen.  This forum, however, is not the place to
discuss it -- and that has nothing to do with whether "software is more
important than human life."  You'd have to be a Ted Bundy to not be
emotionally effected.  As I'm sure is the case for most people on this
list, I spent the entire day inundated with images and reports and
discussions and theories and just the sheer surreality that something
like this could ever be perpetrated in any place by anybody -- what if
it had been Japan, or Zimbabwe, or who knows where else?  My own
participation in the list today has been a brief, and very welcome,
respite from the emotional shock -- there's only so much I can take
before I have to step away for a bit, lest I get completely overwhelmed.
 I'm sure there are other folks who feel the same way.  If participating
today (or for however long) is just not helpful for you, then by all
means take a break.  But do come back when you feel up for it.

>Sorry you feel that way. If software is more imortant than human life
>this group, I won't be a part of it.
>
>Please remove me from the openbeos list and from the testing group.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Richard S. Lewine
>
>Michael Phipps wrote:
>>
>> OK. Enough.
>> As a US citizen and a native of New York state, I, too, have my
opinions
>> about this situation. And politics. But this is not the place for
that. Sorry,
>> but the list can not be everything to everyone, or it will be nothing
to anyone.
>> That is why Be had list moderators. Trust me - it is a tough job.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> >Agreed.  Its a tragic day to see civilians killed, and as a
>> >Serbian-Australian I even visited the two buildings in May last
year.  I
>> >feel sorry for the civilians in the Pentagon, but not the military
personal
>> >in the Pentagon.  In my home country (Yugoslavia), US cruise
missiles
>> >slammed into a civilian TV station and killed friends I went to
university
>> >with, and even wounded one of my best friends.  Again, US and UK
citizens
>> >must ask themselves why nobody bombs Canada, Switzerland, Australia
and
>> >similar countries but always targets the States and UK.
>> >
>> >Having said that, I am deeply sympathetic for the civilians in the 4
planes,
>> >and all New Yorkers, and mourn the civilians working at the
Pentagon.