[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:18:07 +1000

> Many of the UI-related preference
> panels use such a protocol with the app_server. Many components
> share settings files, or assume thread names, team names, area names
> or semaphore names.

        [Zenja Solaja]  3rd party applications do not use these private
protocols, hence the kit developers can use whatever private protocol they
want and not worry about binary compatibility.  For instance, the
Screensaver kit will have a custom build preferences panel, but 3rd party
apps couldn't care less as long as the published API's are identical to what
the app expects.  As someone has already pointed out, all GUI preferences
will need to be rewritten anyway (a job for the training-wheels type people
on this list, perhaps).  JBQ, your input is extremelly valuable on this
list, beer is on me if we ever meet.  That goes for all ex-BeInc engineers.

(That's a 90-90 rule : you can be 100% fast, 100% beautiful, or 90% nice and
90% beautiful at the same time. The goal is to hit that specific balance
point).

        [Zenja Solaja] Agreed.  Lets make something great, and make
computing exciting again.

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.