[openbeos] Re: binary compatibility

  • From: "Yuri Titov" <yurititov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 04:37:01 -0500

Well this makes more sense now :)

> Achieving binary compatibility to the point where we can drop in, say,
> the app_server and have it work with the rest of R5 may not be
> workable.  At the end of the day though, only the public interfaces have
> to be binary compatible for existing apps to work.  And that's not
> terribly difficult to do:  preserve the vtables and object sizes, make
> the backend functionally compatible, and you're basically there.  In
> order for source compatibility to be worth anything, we *have* to be
> functionally compatible anyway -- and binary compatibility in the public
> interface is, relatively speaking, easy.

> Yuri Titov wrote:
> >
> > I had to add my opinion on this.  We should be more concerned with
source compatability.  Making this thing binary compatible is enormous
amount of useless work.  With source compatability if it doesnt recompile,
then you can pretty easily pinpoint why not.  Instead of breaking BeOS
appart then putting it back together, why not skip the breaking part and
just go by the BeBook.  This will take less work/time.  The theorey about
implementing seperate modules and testing them in beos is a good theorey -
yeah theorey and thats about it.  sorry to put is so bluntly.  I just think
we need to go by bebook and everything will be a lot easier on us.