[openbeos] Re: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 19:28:44 -0400

> Perhaps I should clarify. Adi and I were curious are thinking ahead.
> Unless I have misjudged the code at this point, depending on how
> quickly he and I can fling code, we could be seeing some quite useful
> milestones in the coming months. We are thinking about potential
> optimizations in the drawing code and such. While I won't speak for
> Adi, I personally was wondering what can be done with these other
> instructions with respect to graphics and whether or not it is worth it
> to even consider writing code to utilize them. I don't know much about
> any of this kind of stuff, and I'm pretty sure Adi doesn't, either, so
> at this point we just wanted to see if there is anyone who is
> knowledgeable in this kind of thing who could answer some questions and
> such.

Well, that's nice of you two to go looking for outside help without even
checking with the person who has written most of the graphics code.  BTW,
Francois hit the nail on the head.  First we worry about getting stuff
working and checking our current performance.  After that, we can consider
using non-portable optimizations where needed.