[openbeos] Re: app_server: MMX/SSE help wanted

  • From: Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:22:10 +0000

On 2004-08-08 17:00:18 [+0000], Kian Duffy wrote:

>> The XP certainly doesn't fake any kind of Intel CPU; the CPU
>> identification in BeOS is broken, badly. It's no small feat to identify
>> a CPU as Intel which returns a vendor ID of "AuthenticAMD". :)
>
> Well, if it was a true clone of Intel's SSE, it wouldn't crash BeOS. It
> is a bad clone of it, hence the crash

Okay, then let me know the instruction sequence on which an XP crashes, but
a PIII/PIV doesn't. I've already checked the Intel docs (admittedly, not
page to page), and so far I haven't found anything which would indicate an
incompatibility.

> And hence the problems with the MMX optomised version of the Windows
> 95 game "POD" on AMD systems.

What kind of problems, especially problems relating to the XP? The problems
of POD seem to have been with the Forcefeedback driver, and were
encountered on K6s; and if only one program has problems with a certain
CPU, I'd tend to put the blame on the program, not the CPU.

Bye,
Chris