[haiku] Re: Windows 7

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 17:22:30 +0200

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
One of my favorite comments is the one about a big solution (60
projects, 35 MB in source code, oh no) that had some 30K line files
that caused Visual Studio (not sure which version) to run unbearably
slow (typing and moving the cursor took seconds) on a Quad-Core Q9550
with 4GB RAM! That is just unbelievably insane. Direct link to
comment:

This happens because modern IDEs reinterprets or recompile the whole file (and comparing it with the content of connected files) in real time as you type, for things like syntax checking, code sensing, etc.

I can't say I don't like these features, but it's still not an excuse for Microsoft :-) Probably the complexity of the algorithms is just too high. On my new job, I see people doing O(n^2) things with hoards of DB calls for stuff I feel natural doing in O(1) :-D

And it's not an excuse to make 30k lines sources, too.

Regards,

Gabriele