[openbeos] Re: Why I am against distributions.

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:46:26 -0400

>Hi All,
>
>I was going to write this as a newletter article, but refrained due to the
>"negative" comments on how we currently plan to produce a distribution of
>OpenBeOS, I hope that it makes a good read, and I hope it maybe helps shape
>the path of OpenBeOS in more ways that code.
>
>==============
>
>Why I am against vendor-style distributions, and for a *BSD-style
>distributions.
>by Andrew McCall
>
>==============

[In brief summary, hoping that I do justice, complaints about Linux and its
myriad
of paths and distributions, testing apps across different installs and why
Be/FreeBSD
had/have a better model]

I agree with you, that there has to be one way to do many of these things.
One set of standard paths. One naming convention. Etc.
This is one of the reasons that BeUnited.org became a standards group.
Because this isn't just about OBOS (although we are the coolest! :-)).
Because there is Blue and Cosmoe and Leonardo and so on.
Users of any/all should have the same experience, path and install wise, on any
of those systems. That is why BU is making standards. So that we don't end up
with the
Linux mess. Honestly, I wish that we could all get along and just have one code
base with
everyone contributing to it. But since that doesn't seem to be the case, the
next best thing
(from a users perspective) is to have everything work alike so that it doesn't
hurt so much
to have multiple distributions. That is what BU is all about.

As far as making our own distribution, I still believe that it is a bad idea.
But, first, let me
point out that my idea of a distribution and yours may vary. To me, a distro is
something usable to
an end user. That includes things like web browsers, mail clients, solitare,
etc. Something that your
Mom could pop in and use.

As soon as we start talking web browsers, for example, we end up trouble. I bet
there would be something of
an even split between Net+, Mozilla and Opera as choices. Personally, I am an
Opera guy. But
I haven't successfully run Mozilla (despite Paul's repeated attempts to help).
But for others, Net+ is
the "Be" way to go. And Mozilla has more features and is free. All have virtues
and faults. But as soon
as we install one, someone will complain. If we try to install all three, no
one will be happy. It is just
not worth it, in my opinion, to start ticking people off. This is a good time
to be Switzerland. :-)

Now, having said that, what I would like to see is OBOS make a distro for
distro makers.
Basically, we should put together an image (be it .iso or .zip or whatever)
that contains all of the
servers, headers, libraries, libraries, kernel, etc, and an installer.
Something that you could stuff in a drive and
install a (very) minimal working system. It would be the distro makers job to
put whatever web browser, mail client,
GNU tools, etc on and package, document and ship. Much like the FreeBSD people
do. In this way, we do not
dictate what is on the distro more than what we have written/included. We make
sure that the paths and kits and such
are in place, but we do not step beyond that.

>NB - This article expresses *my* personal opinion, and not the opinion of the
>OpenBeOS Administration team.

Nor does mine. I am more than open to convincing on this. But I am pretty sure
that I don't want to get into the Walnut Creek business. :-)