[haiku] Website Article: Opportunity to Pay Axel to Code Haiku!

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:40:24 +0000

Hi everybody,

This is such exciting news. In case you didn't see it on the website,
I wanted to make sure you knew.

--mmadia

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
We are excited to tell you about another proposal for contract
development! This time, it is from Axel Dörfler. He is proposing to
work 120 hours at $14 per hour, for a total of $1,680. To remind you
of the sheer awesomeness of this, Axel has been with the Project since
nearly the beginning -- he joined a few months after it was started in
2001. Axel was also Haiku's first employee back in 2005[1]! This is a
chance to get him back in the saddle -- or, according to some jokes,
back in the basement -- coding Haiku full time for a few weeks.

Astonishing Update: In a mere 24 hours, over $800 has been donated!
Your response has been overwhelmingly amazing. Thank you for all of
your support!

Axel plans to work on network related tasks. Some of the buzzwords include:

ICMP
WPA/WPA2
WLAN GUI tools
updating and improving FreeBSD drivers
testing network cards that people donated
optimizations
Now, here is where you can help and have a noticeable impact ...

This year, we have been taking a much more pro-active approach with
using money to further Haiku and to support the Project. Migrating
from a shared web host to a high quality dedicated server. Reimbursing
conferences that did not receive funding in the past. Financing the
development of WebPositive and the release coordination of R1 Alpha 2.
All of this was made possible through generous financial contributions
from users like you.

At this moment, our finances are tight. Especially after paying some
upcoming expenses, which include Adrien's on-going contract, RMLL,
SBC, FISL[2,3,4,5], and other smaller expenses. We would need to pay
Axel directly from our financial reserves. Normally, we like to keep
$5,000 as this provides a nice buffer for a rainy day so to speak.
Sometime after September, the money from Google Summer of Code will
arrive. But before then and without any donations for paying Axel, our
balance would go below $3,500. That is a situation we want to avoid.
But if need be, we will make it work. Even if it means crossing off
other items in the future.

I know you enjoy using Haiku and want to see it shine. This is your
chance to pay one of our top developers to write code for Haiku!

You donate. He codes. We all use Haiku. [6]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1: http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/axeld/2005-10-13/haikus_first_employee
2:
http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/pulkomandy/2010-06-21_summer_back_and_hcd_comes_it