[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:33:49 -0400

This is a long thread and if I miss anything, I apologize.

Ultimately, I don't anticipate people from outside of our community, generally, coming to WalterCon 2007. Most people who DO go to conventions go because:
1) The company is paying for it
2) They hope to learn something that they can make money with
3) They need to remain competitive and learn new skills.

None of those are likely to be the case with WC07. 08, maybe. 07, not so much.

I am, of course, not against more learning. That was why we presented on both the Media Kit and Drivers last year. I would like to do more this year.

As far as the criticisms of the last year, the single biggest factor that people told me was an issue was the TIME OF YEAR. Many, many people wrote and asked me why we waited until October. They were back in school (or their kids were) and they couldn't make that date.

I am also very interested in getting more interest and more people to come. I always was. :-D

BeGeistert is in Europe. I don't think that we can or should supplant it. I think that we could certainly present there. We have before and I am sure that we will again. I think, though, that there is room for a conference in North America, too.

I put together a quick survey that I would like everyone to answer if you would have any interest, ever, in coming to WC. A number of the questions don't really pertain to this thread as much as some other organizational things that I have always guessed on before and would like some research to back me up on. :-D

http://www.my3q.com/home2/161/mphipps/waltercon.phtml

The survey ends 6/1...

Michael