[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:55:59 -0700

On 5/3/07, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ps: Is anyone else actually reading this thread? I'd like to hear some other views on
whether a "Haiku conference" actually makes any sense given the current state
of development of the project and the people (new developers for the Haiku project
itself) we are trying to attract.

I've been skimming many of the longer posts, but otherwise I've been
trying to at least keep up with the thoughts being discussed.

Not being an active "developer" in the Haiku community (mostly lacking
the C/C++ and BeAPI know-how) and yet being one of the technical
persons - I have been anticipating the opportunity to attend a
WalterCon.

I live on the west coast of the USA, however, and would probably not
travel any further than I can drive myself (I should have gone to the
Las Vegas event, but I had to work that week...)

Having followed the progress of Haiku as long as I have, I would not
necessarily care for a "state of Haiku" style event. I would largely
be looking for some "getting started with Haiku development" type
discussions/presentations on the technical side. Possibly some
discussions about what parts of the OS are going to be focused on
next, and who the potential contributors might be. This is the type of
stuff that would appeal to me from a technical perspective - as it
would help me get up to speed and learn a bit more.

For the administrative/non-technical side I would like to maybe
participate in some face-to-face brainstorming sessions on "Promoting
Haiku" and other stuff like that. Helping to promote Haiku (sometimes
in subtle ways) is one of the few things I have found the time and
ability to do over the years. I don't want to start another flame war,
but I think many agree this is obviously an area that Haiku needs to
work on. I believe that having some portion of WalterCon devoted to
this topic could be a benefit. It would allow those who otherwise
wouldn't be able to contribute code, to still participate in the event
and feel like they can add value.

Haiku needs to grow the community a bit - and it's not too soon. It
needs developers and promoters alike. It doesn't really need users. I
believe a Haiku "Conference" should attract people who want to
contribute to the project, not just people who want to use Haiku.
Therefore it should be structured in such a way that it can open doors
and help people to help Haiku.

Sort of a "Come learn what you can do to help Haiku!" type of attitude.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.

- Urias