[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:40:23 +0200 CEST

Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm proposing a fairly radical change - dropping the whole
> "conference"
> thing and just have a gathering. The time for conferences will come.

That's more or less what we have now, anyway :-)
I don't think a real developer conference will work well right now - at
least not beyond what BeGeistert already delivers - in terms of
introducing new blood into the community.
The effort to make to attend such a conference is usually very high;
you probably wouldn't travel the whole continent for it at this point,
if you're not yet part of the community. You may visit in case you live
nearby, though.

The only way to make it more successful in this regard now is to have
this conference as part of a bigger one, like some generic Open Source
stuff. I'm just unsure if things like SCALE aren't enough for now
already (IOW we should do more in this regard, and I appreciate Koki's
ongoing efforts into that direction a lot).

I also think we should make WalterCon more beneficial to its attendees
in terms of delivering development insights in form of presentations.
We should start with this at BeGeistert, and continuously extend it
with every further event.
This will also create nice content for our website, and can be used to
advertise future events, too :-)

Bye,
   Axel.