[openbeos] Via C3 and Haiku boot

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:35:51 -0800

Axel,

I tested the revisions you wanted me to test on my Via C3 machine - here is
what I found:

r15559 - boots through kernel, seg fault in app_server I believe (not sure
what caused this - I had the same problem on my PIII machine also I think)
r15560 - KDL on the Via machine - didn't get a chance to try this on the
PIII though - I did see the debug output that refers to the MTRR - will
include below
r15863 - (figured I'd grab a newer rev) boots through kernel on Via, loads
app_server, loads terminal, runs for a bit, did not see the same debug
output as 15560 though

The relevant debug output from the r15560 attempt was this:

...<snip>
MTRR enabled
 0: 0x0, 0xffff001, 6
 1: 0x10000000, 0x7fff001, 6
 2: 0x18000000, 0x3fff001, 6
 3: 0x1c000000, 0x1fff001, 6
 4: 0x1e000000, 0xfff001, 6
 5: empty
 6: empty
 7: 0xf4000000, 0x3fff001, 1
MTRR 0: new mask fe0000000)
 mask test base: 0)
 mask test middle: 0)
 mask test end: 20000000)
con_init: trying module console/frame_buffer/v1
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/console
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/dprintf
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/keyboard
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/null
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/random
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/tty
loaded driver /boot/beos/system/add-ons/kernel/drivers/dev/zero
vm_soft_fault: va 0xdeae02ef not covered by area in address space
vm_page_fault: vm_soft_fault returned error -2147478783 on fault at
0xdeae02ef, ip 0x800823b2, write 1, user 0, thread 0x24
PANIC: vm_page_fault: unhandled page fault in kernel space at 0xdeae02ef, ip
0x800823b2

Welcome to Kernel Debugging Land...
Running on CPU 0
kdebug>
<snip>

If you need/want the entire text captures from the debug output, let me know
here: umccullough <at> NOSPAMgmail <dot> NOSPAMcom

I hope I built everything properly - there were only a few files different
when I updated to r15560, which appeared to be processor-specific kernel
files. I don't understand why the latest revision didn't include the MTRR
debug output, unless you removed it or I need to enable something? If
there's anything else you think I should test, or believe I did anything
wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for your efforts BTW :)

- Urias