[haiku] Re: VMW tools as (optional) package

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:58:13 +0100

Vincent DUVERT wrote:

I tested vmw_mouse on Haiku running under VMWare Fusion (the Mac version), but it is not very usable, because the Haiku cursor does not get synchronized with the Mac cursor. For instance, if the Haiku cursor is at the centre of the VM screen and I enter the VM window from the top left corner, the Haiku cursor will stay in place and will not "jump" to the corner. And after this moving the cursor up a little bit will take me out of the VM (since the Mac OS cursor was still on the top of the window). Very frustrating :-/ And even if I try to put the two cursors at the same place, they get desynchronized very quickly since cursor acceleration parameters are not the same in Haiku and Mac OS. I don't know if it is related to Haiku, Fusion or wmv_mouse (I don't have Zeta to test).

This is nobody's fault. In VMWare (and every other virtualization software) this happens with every OS that does not have a mouse driver designed for this purpose.

A regular mouse just sends the computer messages like "the user moved me by 1 cm up and 1 cm left", and then the OS moves the cursor on the screen. In a virtualized environment, you need instead a driver that understands messages like "the user moved me to the screen coordinates 300,400".

At a minimun, a virtualization package should support screen resizing (both "resize the host window according to resolution" and "change resolution according to host window size"), proper mouse handling, clipboard sharing, folder sharing, and file drag n'drop.

Regards,

Gabriele