[openbeos] Re: Using VMware Player on Linux 2.26.24+ (Ubuntu 8.04 and others)

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:12:13 +0000

2008/4/26 Joseph Liu <froseph@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>  > 2008/4/26 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  >
>  > > Hi there,
>  >  >
>  >  >  FYI: if you recently updated your favourite Linux installation, and
>  >  >  found that VMware Player will no longer work, please have a look at
>  >  >  this page:
>  >  >
> http://blog.creonfx.com/linux/how-to-install-vmware-player-workstation-on-2624-kernel
>  >  >
>  >  >  Just tested with Ubuntu 8.04 - it also works with the current 2.0.3
>  >  >  version of the player.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  I've learnt not to do updates unless I have a very strong reason for that.
>  >
>  >  I hope this kind of stuff won't happen with Haiku (e.g. updates ==
>  >  breaks somethings)
>
>  Linux does not have any stable kernel apis. Hence if Linux changes an
>  interface, every kernel module which uses it must be updated. If you
>  are concerned with VMware working, just don't update the kernel. From
>  what I understand, the any-any update fixes the wraps the new kernel
>  apis to what VMware expects. It's unofficial, but generally works and
>  is updated faster than the official release from VMware.

I tried ubuntu only once. The one things I hated most was that it would update
the kernel basically at every update. Breaks after breaks with the
nvidia driver module.
But things broke even at the user space applications with certain
application, like
those in python or C# (mono).

Anyway, I use gentoo now and I update what I want, when I want, way more easily.

Hope to be able to install Haiku real soon.

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer Engineer