[openbeos] Re: Using VMware Player on Linux 2.26.24+ (Ubuntu 8.04 and others)

  • From: "Euan Kirkhope" <euan.kirkhope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:43:48 +0100

2008/4/26 François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:
> > >  I've learnt not to do updates unless I have a very strong reason
>  > > for that.
>  > >
>  > >  I hope this kind of stuff won't happen with Haiku (e.g. updates ==
>  > >  breaks somethings)
>  >
>  > Linux does not have any stable kernel apis. Hence if Linux changes an
>  > interface, every kernel module which uses it must be updated. If you
>  > are concerned with VMware working, just don't update the kernel. From
>  > what I understand, the any-any update fixes the wraps the new kernel
>  > apis to what VMware expects. It's unofficial, but generally works and
>  > is updated faster than the official release from VMware.
>
>  Indeed this is really a concern in linux, for example OpenSound has a
>  really complex build system just to account for this, that is stubs
>  must be compiled at install time to accomodate for the kernel version.
>
>  François.

Indeed there's so many examples of that type of breakage.  I just got
8.04 installed too.  Had troubles with ndiswrapper becuase they have
broken the module loader, and now hacks are needed to ensure 'correct'
load order.  Sigh.

How hard can it be to design a just generic interface to do 'stuff'.

Another major frustration is that my desktop (still 7.10 ubuntu) just
refuses to display a resolution > 1024x768.  I've tried everything
except reinstalling.  When has haiku ever had a problem like that.  It
just starts and works if it's supported.  I hate X with a vengeance.
I tried all three screen control panels too!  (admin, prefs, and
aticonfig) as well has editing numerous conf files.

Euan