[haiku] Re: Updated website pages online for peer review

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 08:34:54

Hi Jonas,

> "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Jonas Sundström wrote:
> > > "Haiku is an open source operating system currently
> > > in development
> > > very powerful system for computer users of all levels."
> >
> > OK, so, you don't like it. So, shat should it say then?
>
> Hi Jorge!
>
> I'm not saying we should down-prioritize intuitive, simple-
> yet-powerful or the goals of an efficient and responsive system.
> I'm just not sure those goals make for the best blurb.
>
> Instead of enumerating a set of qualities, try to focus
> on what people use their computers for. And why they use
> computers. Probably because its fun and they enjoy doing it.
>
> "We want to make Haiku so good that you will move all your
> files to it, do all your browsing, gaming and media creation
> in Haiku and never look back at Windows, Linux or OS X.
>
> We want to offer the most fun software development platform,
> allowing anyone to make applications that rock.
>
> We want to make Haiku so enticing that you will want to void
> your phone and game console warranties just to install Haiku."
>
> Just some fun, mad underdog guerilla marketing.
> We want people to feel something.
>
> Do you think that would work?

I don't think so. Your message has the following problems IMO:

* It is too generic and lacking in specifics...

* ...and therefore lacks differentiation (which is essential).

* It makes claims that Haiku will not be able to meet for the
foreseeable future due to lack of maturity/features/applications...

* ...and can therefore create false expectations that could be
difficult to manage and eventually backfire.

> (Considering the general public as well as user and
> developers with an interest in alternative systems.)
>
> If we want to be superhonest about everything.. (*rolls eyes*)
> we could have a now/future split message:
>
> - This is what we want (promising the moon)
>
> - This is what you get now (blunt honesty)

We have already been taking a sort of "this what we aim for, this is
where we are" two pronged approach. At least since late 2006, Haiku has
always been positioned more as a future proposition rather than a
solution for the present.

We can (and should) gradually adjust our message as the system evolves
and the applications ecosystem grows, but only when the timing is right.
I don't think this is the moment and, depending on who you target, we
may be talking years here, not weeks or months, before that can change.

All FWIW and IMHO disclaimers apply. :)

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki