[haiku] Re: Updated website pages online for peer review

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jonas Sundström wrote:
> > "Haiku is an open source operating system currently
> > in development
> > very powerful system for computer users of all levels."
>
> OK, so, you don't like it. So, shat should it say then?

Hi Jorge!

I'm not saying we should down-prioritize intuitive, simple-
yet-powerful or the goals of an efficient and responsive system.
I'm just not sure those goals make for the best blurb.

Instead of enumerating a set of qualities, try to focus
on what people use their computers for. And why they use
computers. Probably because its fun and they enjoy doing it.

"We want to make Haiku so good that you will move all your
files to it, do all your browsing, gaming and media creation
in Haiku and never look back at Windows, Linux or OS X.

We want to offer the most fun software development platform,
allowing anyone to make applications that rock.

We want to make Haiku so enticing that you will want to void
your phone and game console warranties just to install Haiku."

Just some fun, mad underdog guerilla marketing.
We want people to feel something.

Do you think that would work?

(Considering the general public as well as user and
developers with an interest in alternative systems.)

If we want to be superhonest about everything.. (*rolls eyes*)
we could have a now/future split message:

- This is what we want (promising the moon)

- This is what you get now (blunt honesty)

> >> http://production.web.haiku-os.org/about/codebase
> >>

> > I expected more focus on Haiku itself and less on the
> > external code we put to good use.
> The motivation for adding this kind of information is that,
> in my experience (from the many shows/conferences I have done),
> people not familiar with Haiku are very dis/mis-informed
> about the Haiku code base. A lot of people don't know that
> we do use quite a bit of open source code (which is a good
> thing IMHO), and there are also those that think
> that Haiku uses the BeOS code.

Yes, it is a good thing that we refrain from reinventing the
wheel when there is already great software that fit well with
Haiku, and I agree that this is something we should be open with.
It does not reflect badly on us at all. I just think a page
named that way should put more emphasis on -our- code, and if
we mention a lot of external code, we need to balance that by
showing more of Haiku. Haiku's own code / general architecture.

IMO, of course.

/Jonas.