[openbeos] Re: USB Mass Storage driver (Was RE: Re: Driver Tutorial)

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:19:26 +0200

Hi,

Siarzhuk has already written a USB Mass Storage driver, which
Have downloaded it from BeBits, am just applying the usb.patch at the
moment...
...which worked! :D USBDeskbar now works too so I can 'see' the 128MB
memory stick I've got plugged in.
Nice. Keep me informed in case of problems with other USB storage device. OK? :-)
Out of interest, who wrote the USB.Patches devices - and is the source code
to these available?
It is just a binary replacement for USB bus managers. As you should already heard - the Dano had USB interface version 3 (BeOS R5 had USB v2). Unfortunately, Dano version of USB modules requires some system calls not available on R5. AFAIR it was "wake_up()" or something like this. It was not possible to use Dano modules in R5 directly. But! There was some intermediate, development version of BeOS R5. :-) And that version has USB v3 but not requires those system calls. Someone has just observed it, wrote an update instruction and pack it as BeOS.USB.patches.zip. By the way - if your copy of USB patches contains no drivers for keyboard and mice - look for it. You'll have an wheel support for some mouse types. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of this archive. :-\ The sources of this USB stuff is part of R5 source and are not available for public. Anyway now we have open-sourced Haiku implementation - so all those "patching" tricks will become a history soon. :-)
IMHO, there is this problem with the discussion in this thread: you guys need to be well informed about what is out there, so you don't duplicate work that has already been done. Including "sample" drivers and tutorials.
greed, but while I'm learning (and I have a _lot_ to learn) I'm happy to
duplicate work in the knowledge that while what I do for the next few months
will (probably) be for my benefit only, I'll then be able to contribute
properly to existing projects.
Feel free to ask - anyway it is better to spend your time to something useful for others. :-D

---
Regards,
    S.Zharski