[openbeos] Re: USB Mass Storage driver (Was RE: Re: Driver Tutorial)

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:46:03 +0100

> Chris,
>
> Siarzhuk has already written a USB Mass Storage driver, which
> I'm using on
> R5 just fine since a very long time (available on BeBits).
> The driver is
> already in the Haiku repository, but it needs to be adjusted
> to work with
> the Haiku SCSI subsystem (I would assume).

Have downloaded it from BeBits, am just applying the usb.patch at the
moment...
...which worked! :D  USBDeskbar now works too so I can 'see' the 128MB
memory stick I've got plugged in.

Out of interest, who wrote the USB.Patches devices - and is the source code
to these available?

> IMHO, there is this problem with the discussion in this
> thread: you guys
> need to be well informed about what is out there, so you
> don't duplicate
> work that has already been done. Including "sample" drivers
> and tutorials.

Agreed, but while I'm learning (and I have a _lot_ to learn) I'm happy to
duplicate work in the knowledge that while what I do for the next few months
will (probably) be for my benefit only, I'll then be able to contribute
properly to existing projects.