[haiku] Re: Translation/localization info for translators

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 10:14:04 -0700

Hi Humdinger,

Humdinger escribió:
-- Jorge G. Mare, on Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:47:42 -0700:
Well, different information being recorded and discussions taking place in separate venues lead to inconsistencies between the translations of the user guide and the applications, which I am pretty sure we can agree is not good.

At least the German translation of the user guide keeps the English original GUI strings for now. Once all apps are localized, we'll have to make new screenshots for everything and crawl through the whole thing anyway.

I am curious: being that the locale kit is enabled, and thus you can expect that there will be people using it, what is the reasoning for not bringing the user guide in sync i18n-wise as apps are being localized instead of waiting for all the apps to be localized? Doing it all at once when all the apps are localized (most likely at the eleventh hour?) sounds a bit scary...

And that's the time where discussions may crop up. I intend to have those on the haiku-i18n-de mailing list. The results being worked into the terminology part of the wiki.

We also use (and encourage the use of) the haiku-i18n-xx lists for dicussions. But HTA is comment-enabled, so some people are posting comments there too (perhaps because they are unaware of the list or for mere preference/convenience).

This creates a disconnect, as not everyone follows both the list and the HTA comments. And I don't blame them as, to be honest, it is a real PITA to have to go back and forth between the two, sometimes only to see what has already been discussed in one place being asked on the other, or that one conclusion is reached in one place that is totally different from what was concluded on the other. I don't see how this duplication can be good in any way...

Cheers,

--
Jorge/aka Koki
Website: http://haikuzone.net