[haiku] Re: Translation/localization info for translators

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:22:01 +0200

The only really useable solution is to take only the catkeys from hta and
alter the jamfiles by hand. As all the translations change the same line
in the jamfile, they are likely to create conflicts if the patch isn't
committed immediately, that's why it's difficult to ask people to commit
them to trac where they could collect dust and quickly become out of date
(as soon as another language patch is commited).

Well, the idea would be that if a patch is posted to Trac, then there would be more hands to submit it to SVN, as opposed to the status quo where you are the only one dealing with these patches. But I do see your point about the potential for patches becoming out of sync depending on the timing.

Why do you insist on them going trough trac ? this only adds an extra level of annoyance for everyone. Any dev can go at hta, pick the catalogs there and commit them. As of now, with the broken jamfiles, it's quite painful : one have to download the catkeys individually and edit the jamfiles by hand. Once this is fixed, it will only be a matter of downloading a .zip, extracting it, applying the patches, check everything is ok, and commit.

If there is something wrong in the generated jamfile, the translator that uploaded it to trac isn't to blame, it's likely an hta bug. If there is a problem with the translation itself, it should have been spotted before the catalog got approved on hta. In any case, I can't see how trac would help reducing the load. It's just a matter of telling the devs what they are expected to do with hta. The translator work stops right at hta and is already working fine.

Note that some people commit their files to trac. Usually :
a) They upload a single catalog for a single app
b) They assign the ticket to the default owner of this app, which may either commit it or reassign the ticket to me, not knowing (yet) what to do with the files c) The generated patch is often out of sync or otherwise broken, meaning I often end up getting the catkeys from hta anyway.

To me it looks like the translators are doing a great work and only the devs with commit right should go more often to hta, perhaps to watch their own language.

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx