[haiku] Re: Tired of waiting

  • From: The_Serial_Wombat <the.serial.wombat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 06:03:55 -0500

On 2/10/2011 3:21 PM, Sean Collins wrote:
No, it's not what you think. :)
I'm tired of waiting and not doing anything about Haiku (or BeOS for
that matter because I waited hoping for Be inc to pull it off in
those
days). That I'd just 'do my part' after Haiku is 99% polished and
perfect and only then would I help by testing out almost completed
software or promoting the Haiku idea to the masses. I decided I'm
actually going to 'do' this programming thing and learn how to create
something. So I picked up the Gaddis C++ book that was untouched (it
was for a college course years ago and I just wasn't into it at the
time) and worked on the exercises.
If you are just starting out and just read a book that's full of
#<>{};, your mind just turns blank. But I forced myself to do all the
checkpoints, review questions and all the programming challenges for
each chapter and then I realized that this stuff wasn't so bad after
all. I also came up with my own commenting system so that I could
keep
track of all those braces. For example, if the beginning of the loop
is: if (x>2) then after the closing brace I write // if if (x>  2)
Once I finish this book, the next step will be to get C++ Primer and
other books to really know C++.

    I am having a hell of a time with c/c++. I will be joinging you and
when you finish with that book.

    I'll buy it from ya.

    Sean

To Be (pun intended) honest, that is why I am back in college and working on my IT degree. I got tired of not being able to contribute since my coding skills are as poor as they are. (I have been trying a lot on my own, but not "officially" taking on tasks yet, due to this issue.) All I can say is keep on learning. (I am working on learning c++, agena and trying to port open comal with sdl support.)