[openbeos] Re: Tinderbox

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/17/05, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I'd like to start coding a tinderbox-equivalent (but easily
> > > maintainable) in Ruby on Rails. First question: is ruby available
> > > on
> > > the haiku server? Second question, is there anyone who has a
> > > machine
> > > that can test continual building for me? Third question, should I
> > > put
> > > the code in the svn repository (and where)?
> > What (the heck) is Ruby on Rails? Just another scripting language?
> > doubt that something like that is available on the server (but I
> > don't
> > really know).
> Ruby is the language (http://www.ruby-lang.org), and rails
> (http://ww.rubyonrails.com) is the framework. I could tell you that
> php is evil, but I'll just prove that with Ruby on Rails the world
> has
> become a bit better. Seriously though. I'm having a lot of free time
> today. It's now 8:53 AM (sunday the seventeenth). I think I'll have a
> prototype running later today (thanks to rails).

I know that PHP is evil :-)
Anyway, as long as Ruby is available on BeOS, you can certainly use it,
as we currently (still) need BeOS as our build platform. And I have no
idea what our server can provide you with, but it certainly knows PHP.

> > Anyway, I think we should have stuff like this in our repository,
> > possibly under src/tests/tinderbox/ or wherever you prefer.
> Well, it's actually not a part of the build. It's rather a 'web
> service'. As such, it would be better under the 'buildtools' section
> of the tree - or even better - as a whole new module (a 'webtools'
> module, or so), because there are probably more web services getting
> written as the project grows (web services are the future, but that's
> a whole other rant).

If it's source and used as part of our unit tests, I think it certainly
belongs there. I would find buildtools quite odd, as it's not related
to our (standard) build - it's part of our test suite.

Bye,
   Axel.