[openbeos] Themes

Chris Peel wrote:

I didn't intend to cause a fight and I don't appreciate the fairly rude
"it's our way or no way" responses received as I don't think that's the Be
(or hopefully) Haiku way.

I didn't see them as rude, but I am sorry that you feel that way.

Lars is right - Windows does allow theming and you could change your icons
(via TweakUI - a Microsoft product) since Windows 98.

There are a lot of things included in the term "themes". I am not sure which exactly you mean.
- Changing the icon set
- Changing the colors of windows, buttons, etc
- Changing the shapes and designs of windows
- Changing the default graphics (close button, resize, sliders)

BeOS R5 included some of these fully (icons), some partly (sliders) and some not at all (colors and shapes of windows).

Windows XP includes theming because Micrsoft - finally - caught up with the
fact that users want theming support in their operating system.  For
goodness sake, even Dano shipped with a moderate form of theming support,
although it was in its infancy.

If you are talking about "Windows and buttons", Windows includes two - XP and classic (Fisher price and boring business). :-D I couldn't quickly find anywhere or any way to add more. Nor does Vista add any. I am not saying that we should limit ourselves to what the Redmondians do, but to say that MS caught the idea that people want to theme the OS is, I think, overstating it a little. MS introduced a new look that everyone either loves or hates. They figured this out and made it switchable.

I'm really surprised at the response this post has got.  I wasn't demanding
theming support (I apologise if it was interpreted in such a way) and I
don't expect the devs to stop what they're doing and include it.  I just
hope Axel's and Stefano's responses are not indicative of the Haiku project
overall.

We have had this conversation many times. It should be in the FAQs (Jorge, if you would?). Personally, I don't think that theming has a lot of value or is of importance. I think that there is a lot of value in one look. App developers can create icons and colors of their own and know that everything will look good on every system. If you look at some of the systems that do allow changes, if you make those changes, apps look really bad - unprofessional and ugly. If we want to add the ability to change things like the default grey and yellow colors, I think that we need to find a way to make that work well. It isn't trivial. Not to mention the number of apps out there that have the yellow and/or grey RGB colors hard coded. I *KNOW* that, in those cases, it is the apps fault. But, as an alternative OS platform, there aren't 50 of any app to choose from. :-)

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm up my own a**e or conceited or anything
but if you want Haiku to be an o/s of the future you need to forget about
1999 and get with the times.  I want (sorry, would like) to be able to sync.
my mobile phone via bluetooth with Haiku, run it on a laptop and connect via
wireless, etc.  I appreciate this may not be the goal of R1 but to simply
dismiss it with a "well I don't do it so I can't imagine anyone else would
want to" repsonse is very disappointing.

I want to sync my phone, too. :-) I don't see themes as a make or break issue. Very, very far from it. In fact, I would bet that less than 1 in a 1000 people would turn from Haiku if it didn't have that. Drivers and apps are far more critical. :D I guess the official party line is "We will look into it when it gets to the top of the priority list."

Michael