[openbeos] Re: The Newbie perspective

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:50:31 -0400

I extracted a portion of this to respond to...

I know that I am late to responding; I was out of town.
A lot of the introductory stuff that other operating systems have, we couldn't
write right now if we wanted to. We can't write about how to install because
the installer isn't written. We can't show screenshots because the app_server
and kernel really aren't ready yet. Etc. I have explained this a number of
times in a number of circumstances, but the fact that people are still asking
the question leads me to believe that either they aren't seeing what I wrote or
are not understanding and/or believing it. We need to work on that.

As far as a hardware compatability list, when we are further along, we will
publish such a thing. BeUnited has offered to help with it, since we are their
reference implementation. This hasn't been much of a focus since, as others
have said, the people who would be most likely to write it are busy developing
drivers.

As far as user documentation (like, say, a users guide), this does need to be
written. I have a number of ideas on this, as do others, but it hasn't been a
high priority; I would rather wait until we are closer to complete. That way we
can use real screenshots, etc.

Michael