[openbeos] Re: The Haiku Book

  • From: "Jérôme Duval" <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:12:35 +0200

Hi Stephan,

2006/9/11, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

I came to Haiku after the discussion about docbook versus doxygen, at
least
I don't remember it... :-) In many places in the code, I came across
doxygen documentation, and I thought it was pretty nice. Whenever it made
sense, I updated documentation, or tried to include documentation when I
added new functions. I guess this is exactly the point of doxygen. I have
no idea what the reason was to make docbook the official tool for
documentation. (I should probably try to look it up in the mail archives,
but don't feel like that right now.) So if you manage to bridge between

Archives were lost since then so it's not easy to look at them :(

Back then, Docbook had the advantage of being transformable with XSL to any
content we'd like. We thought to Doxygen in a way to generate API
documentation, but it didn't have something really better than Docbook in
its use, apart its ability to parse source files for doc tags. Now, the
generated XML from Doxygen could be used to generate API docbook files.
About the Docbook syntax, I don't think it's hard to learn and write,
particularly if there is already a load of samples to reuse.

The Boost XSL sheets used to convert from Doxygen XML are already in our
repository. It's not easy to integrate them and structure the book.

Bye,
Jérôme