[openbeos] Re: Talking about our operative system diffusion

  • From: Czeslaw Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:54:49 -0700

On 07.23.04 7:33 am, m.madia at mattmadia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My point is, that we all need to talk BeOS and Haiku up.... Even if
> only one person is interested, it'll create noise and draw attention to
> us and our thriving community.

I agree completely, Matt.

On the outside wall of my cubicle at work, right next to the "doorway" into
the cube, I've posted a nice propanda broadsheet titled "What is BeOS?" (I
got the page from the now-defunct www.BeOSBible.com website.) It's like a
little poster that describes BeOS in the (accurately) glowing terms that
characterized Scot Hacker's prose back then. Everytime someone enters my
cube, they see this little poster...

I work at a small software shop that uses Microsoft technology exclusively
(ASP, SQLServer, MS server operating systems, Visual SourceSafe, Visual
Basic .NET, etc.), but every one of my thirty co-workers now knows what BeOS
was and is, that there is an effort to rewrite it as an open-source
implementation, that this effort has recently changed its name from OpenBeOS
to Haiku, and so on.

In our monthly general staff meetings, I occasionally get to enjoy the
running joke offered by one or another of the MS-centric programmers, to
wit: When we are beating our heads against some infrastructural problem or
limitation attributable to Redmond, someone (other than myself) quips,
"Let's just switch to BeOS...."  Everyone laughs as if the joke is on me,
but I always laugh last, because I clearly see these jokes as cracks in the
Microsoft monolith...

We've got the stuff. Why be shy about it?

Czeslaw