[haiku] Re: Splash icons licence ?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:07:28 -0800

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Haiku's icons are a pretty strong factor
>> of recognition.
>
> If a consumer-oriented device makes it to the
> market before Haiku, or simply gets more popular,
> and the Haiku artwork remains part of the device's
> visuals it could possibly hurt Haiku, making Haiku
> look like the one copying the other.
>
> How to deal with this I don't know. Maybe it would
> be enough to ask others not to use the Haiku artwork
> for purposes not related to Haiku.

I'm pretty sure I read sometime in the past that the artwork was
released under MIT license as well (don't count this as fact)...
Stephan would likely be the one to ask since a large percentage of the
artwork is his.

The Haiku logo and name are still trademarks of Haiku, Inc. and use of
those for non-approved purposes requires specific permission.

No matter where the artwork is used, the original is always copyright
the author that created it, and Haiku's repo has historical proof of
this.

- Urias