[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: Peter Mogensen <apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:30:20 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Daniel Reinhold wrote:
> In my mind, BeOS is a single-user, desktop OS. If we can make a few
> minor changes to accomodate having different user settings with
> separate logins, etc. that is fine. But trying to make BeOS into a
> server OS (which is what mult-user entails) is a whole different thing.

I strongly dissagree with this. Multiuser doesn't imply dedicated server OS and
I'm not looking for a "single-user, desktop OS with a few changes to accomodate
having different user settings". I'm looking for an OS to replace Linux in my
home. I'm not looking for a industry strength Linux replacement, but I want to
be able to software like Apache, PostgreSQL, named, postfix and so on,  without
missing features. An example would be the ability to run a suid CGI script on
my home server.

> They say a camel is a horse designed by a committee. Let's not design a
> camel. The BeOS cannot be everything everybody might want it to be, and
> that's just as well. There are plenty of high quality, free server OS's
> for Intel machines. We don't need to compete there. Let's not waste our
> time trying. Let's create a kick-ass desktop OS. That pretty much means
> single user.

I'm not talking about competing. I'm talking about that I have a need for
Multiuser even that I'm not running a large server installation, and that I
would not be interested in an OS, which didn't aim beyond single-user.

Peter